Frequently Asked Questions About Auto Accidents, Claims And Insurance

Some common post-accident questions that the attorneys at Miyoshi & Hironaka receive include those posted below.

Can I afford to work with an attorney?

Don’t let this worry prevent you from contacting a lawyer in a timely manner after being injured in car and truck accidents. Our initial consultations are free and attorney fees for our lawyers are a percentage of clients’ settlements and verdicts.

How much is my claim worth?

The answer to this question is unique in every case and may involve factors such as the following:

  • The severity of the injuries and property damage.
  • The quality of documentation of injuries and losses.
  • The promptness of an investigation.
  • The inclinations of an insurance claims adjuster, judge or jury.
  • The quality of legal counsel supporting the gathering and presentation of evidence.

To discuss your case, meet with one of our attorneys in a free initial consultation.

How will I pay my medical bills after an accident?

If your insurance company pays your medical bills at first, that company may later try to recoup the expenses from any negligent party, such as an at-fault driver. We often persuade doctors and hospitals to treat our clients upfront while their legal cases are underway.

How long do I have to file a claim?

The statute of limitations in Hawaii for car accident claims is two years. For other types of accidents, ask an attorney. For best results, get legal advice without delay.

Do I need to speak with the insurance company?

You should report the basic facts to your insurance company as soon as you can. but we advise you not to take part in any insurer’s detailed questioning before getting legal counsel.

Should I accept the insurance company’s settlement offer?

An experienced attorney can educate you so that you can make the right decision about accepting an offer or taking a case to trial.

What is a “no-fault” state for auto insurance?

According to the insurance division of Hawaii’s Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, Hawaii is a no-fault state, which means that “your [own auto] insurance company will pay the bills for your injuries and your passengers’ injuries up to the personal injury protection benefits (“PIP”) limit,” regardless of fault. However, if injuries are serious, you may bring a lawsuit against an at-fault driver.

To Learn More

Contact us by phone at 808-888-5050 or email us to schedule a consultation and discuss your own questions.